Each year, the Pennsylvania School Public Relations Association (PenSPRA) has announced that it will present two one-year scholarships. PenSPRA, founded in 1967, is one of the largest state chapters of the National School Public Relations Association (NSPRA) and is the recipient of more than eight Blue Ribbon Awards. PenSPRA is divided into two regions, East and West, and has more than 150 active members across the state. PenSPRA is governed by an Executive Board. The organization has several purposes: to support student achievement through responsible school and community relations, to foster the continual development of its members and to strengthen the leadership role of the school public communications professional.
The award consists of two one-year scholarships worth $1,000 each. Scholarships will be awarded to one public school student from each of PenSPRA’s two regions.
A scholarship will be awarded to two (2) qualified Pennsylvania public high school seniors who plan to pursue a career in a communications field (i.e. journalism, English, public relations, advertising, graphic arts, etc.). The candidates should have maintained at least a 3.0 GPA and already been accepted at or applied to a two- or four-year college, vocational-technical school or other institution of higher learning.
Completed applications for the scholarship must be submitted by Friday, March 6, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The recipients will be announced in April 2020.
Manner of Selection:
- Each application must be accompanied by: a transcript that includes the student's GPA, two recommendations from teachers, administrators, coaches, sponsors or community members and a 250-500 word essay explaining why he/she has chosen to pursue a career in the communications field
- The awardees will be chosen by a committee consisting of three or four members of PenSPRA whose school districts have no applicants for the scholarships.
- If there are no applicants or qualified candidates in any given year, the Selection Committee shall not award the scholarship that year.
- A check in the amount of the scholarship will be mailed to each recipient’s high school.
- It is the intent of PenSPRA to release the name of the scholarship winner(s) in time for that school district's award assembly.
Please note that incomplete applications or packets received after the deadline will not be considered.